Wednesday 5 October 2016

Semovente 105/25 or the Small World of Toy Tanks.

Story:
At MOAB one of the key draw cards is The Bring and Buy stand. This is where players consign lots of unwanted figures to the organizers who sell these on the owners behalf for a 10% cut.

I stopped by and picked up four nicely painted Semovente 105/25. I have been looking for these models for a while as I have wanted to use them in some of the Late War Italian lists.

Taking my spoils back to the FOW area, I showed them to one of the painters of the group, Ben. Ben quickly informed me that he had actually painted them years earlier as a commission job.

The world of toy tanks and man dollies is indeed small!

History:
The Semovente 105/25 is an Italian built self-propelled gun. 12 were built and saw service under the Italian flag in 1943. After the Italian surrender, the Germans captured these units and built a further 91 vehicles. These vehicles then saw service in Italy and the Balkans.

Looking at photos of the vehicles in WW2, the Semovente 105/25 had a distinctive camouflage scheme different to the models I picked up. Oh well, they look pretty.

Pictures:

And onto the eye candy…





1 comment: