Saturday 22 October 2016

Painting: Battlefront R-2 Romanian Tank (RO010)

Avid readers will recall, I reviewed the Battlefront R-2 tank here. It is a lovely model.

I have finally got them painted. These are great models and despite being a few years old, came up very well. I just love the riveted joins, the hatches and the distinctive machine guns. These are in the classic Battlefront exaggerated style with large and distinctive tools, machine guns and other equipment. From a painting point of view, this depth of detail really allows the painter to feature these items as they are just a little more prominent on the model that some other brands.

These were a breeze to paint. Here are the steps I took:

1. After cleaning up the models, I sprayed them in army painter white. I gave them 2 light coats.
2. I then base coated them with Vallejo Olive Grey (888) using a brush.
3. I then hit them with a wash of Army Painter strong tone - again with a brush.
4. I then went over the panels with the Olive  Grey again making sure to leave the recesses, corners and low points.
5. I then hit the hull with a very, very light highlight of Vallejo Green Grey (886). This picked up the edges, rivets and hatch handles.
6. I painted up the machine guns with black first then highlighted with Games Workshop Bolt Gun Metal. I have long ago poured a liberal amount of black into my Bolt Gun Metal so it not too shiny.
7. I weathered the tracks with Vallejo Flat Earth (70983)
8. Finally I painted the tools and the commander. My research shows that the tank crews wore a black cap and the same colour overalls/uniform as the army.

Sadly I have not got an Romanian decals to hand so here they are without decals. I will look to get some asap and take some better photos of the whole unit on a gaming table.

Here are the pictures. I hope you have enjoyed this painting post.









No comments:

Post a Comment