Monday 17 October 2016

Review: Rough Stone Walls

Terrain Approach:
I have been gaming for nearly 30 years. For most of that time, I have used felt and whatever cheap and portable materials I could find. The high (low) point was making trees from plastic Christmas trees. With unfinished bases, these looked particularly sad.

Gladly since moving into Flames of War, the days of felt and butchered Christmas trees are in the past. In the last 5 years, I have picked up a stack of Battlefield in a box (BIAB) - Battlefronts pre-painted terrain line. I have also purchased some other pre-painted terrain, mainly hills.

Whilst most pre-painted terrain looks good, it can look the same as everyone else who has the same pre-painted terrain.

So, I am starting to work on some terrain that is my own. Whether I buy something and paint it, assemble it or make it from scratch, I will hopefully have a table that looks different to other peoples tables. I will continue to buy excellent terrain like BIAB but will supplement it with pieces that I can add my signature, however poorly to.

Review:
Here is my first review then of terrain that is not sold table ready. I picked these stone walls up at a convention (Likely Cancon or MOAB) a few years back. Edit, these are from battlefield accessories. Their website is Here. I don't think these are sold locally in Australia anymore. Thanks to custard for sharing the supplier.

Original Packaging.
                                                                                               
The pack contains 8 hard resin wall sections. Each section is about 10cm long (4 inches) and are moulded with a base. One of the walls has a gate cast into the section. The other 7 are identical and are just basic rock walls.

Pack Contents

Whilst the stones look good, there are quite a few air bubbles in the surface. Otherwise, they are excellent. For $11 a pack, these are good value.

The set provides enough wall to create a small field, cemetery or to wall a building and yard.

Painting:
Whilst I want these to look good and be different, these are terrain pieces and not figures. I have therefore kept it fairly simple.

I sprayed these with a coat of Army Painter Grey.

Base Coated Grey
I then highlighted these with Vallejo Sky gray with a drop of German grey mixed in.


With Highlight
Next up the base and the gate. I hit these areas with some Jo Sonja Burnt Umber. I then highlighted the gate with flat earth.

Base and Gate Painted.

Close up of gate detail.

Modeled in front of building.
The full set painted.
Please look out for more of my terrain reviews as I add more pieces to the collection. I hope you enjoyed this post.



1 comment:

  1. Battlefield Accessories made them - http://battlefieldaccessoriesusa.com/products.php
    Mike Parker used to sell them at Cancon and Moab but has moved on to laser cut stuff now. A shame since it was handy to pick them up there. Great products!

    ReplyDelete