Monday 14 November 2016

West German Tanks - Planning Colours - AKA Paints and Stuff

So I have a bunch of new TY West Germans. Normally when I start a new army, I look up the paint chart, see what I have already and usually buy a new pot or find something similar from my existing collection. I occasionally vary slightly from the suggested colours following my own research.

So with the new colours of war paint range being listed in the painting guides, I need to rethink my approach. I have listed below what I have ended up with as I am too lazy to write it down as a method to help you in planning your new West German force.

So a new army in a new rule set gives me a whole new opportunity to try some new techniques. I will be incorporating some new ideas into my plan below.

First up, WHAT to paint:

The Germans used standard camouflage patterns, meaning all the vehicles of the same type had the same pattern. Battlefront have also published some camouflage templates here.  

Next the paints. I came across a Vajello to colours of war chart on the FOW site here. Sadly this must have been published before leopard so wont be 100% useful.

I will start with my new white spray undercoat. This has helped to brighten my models after I switched from the old black undercoat.

I then came across a cool post from SonBae on WWPD who clearly went through a similar process to me. In the article he finds replacements for the 3 main tank colours. I will shamelessly steal these suggestions. I had 2 of these already and picked up the 3rd from my local store.

Nato Green - 71-022 Camouflage Green.
Worn Rubber - 862 Black Gray
Woodland Brown - 72-043 Beastly Brown.

Other colours needed will be the light highlight of Iraqi sand in place of dry dust. I will use flat earth for weathering on the tracks and road wheels. I normally use this colour for spade handles too. I will use my ancient GW bolt gun metal with black poured into the bottle for any metal on the models.

For the new, I will be using a gloss spray and then Tamiya Panel line after I finish up the base coat and before a matt varnish.

It is said that no battle plan survive contact with the enemy, so lets see if this is the final plan. I will also need to develop my infantry plan too.

I hope you find this useful.





4 comments:

  1. Look forward to see how your stuff turns out and glad the articles helped! SonBae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, your reviews and articles have help inspire me to start the West Germans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes looking forward to seeing your Westies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Started painting the leopards tonight. A long way to go

    ReplyDelete