Friday 11 November 2016

Team Yankee - Hall of Heroes Battle Day

Today, the Hall of Heroes store in Sydney played host to the Team Yankee battle day. This was to be a 3 player-per-side total war game to showcase the new rules. For those interested, the player pack is here.

Daddy day care meant I aimed to get there after the deployment, watch a few turns and head back. Given it was to be 37 degrees Celsius today in Sydney - that is 99 degrees Fahrenheit yanks, it seemed a good day for a gaming store visit.

I don't have an army but was offered a command when it turned out the guys were a player short. This was to be my first game of Team Yankee! I was lucky enough to run some Soviets. The game was to be 2 Soviet armies (Afgansty and Motor Rifles) against an Australian and West German force.

Here is the table set up for the game. It is 12 foot by 6 foot.

The 12x6 foot table with forces being assembled.

12 Hinds.
Spoilers, it is going to be a 18 Hind day! Above are the first 12 ready to fly.

Hospital.
Above is a nice hospital. A massive terrain piece that doesn't seem so big on a 12x6 foot table!

Of course, you cannot have a hospital without the inevitable overpriced hospital packing. As usual, all spots are taken.

Hospital Parking.

The road bisecting the table.

More air options.

T72s ready to roll out.

Soviet motor rifles.
I was given command of the above soviet motor rifles as part of my force. I also had 6 hinds and 2 units of T72s.

West Germans.
And with that, the game was underway.

Motor Rifles on the objective.
The soviets spearhead down the road. Well, until it was realised the scenario rules disallowed spearhead.
Spearhead!


Nicely painted soviets
The table was scattered with vehicles and nicely constructed vignettes. Below is a truck dragging some wire or cable.

Logistics stops for no war!
In turn 2 and my first dice roll of the game, I took 2 BMP shots at some distant Leopard IIs. Result, dead Leopard. I like this game!

Boom - Brewed up Leopard II.
On the left flank, with the 12 hinds arriving from reserve, the lurking 6 hinds decided to also hit the table. The target, 4 Marders. A brave Hind was lost in the AA fire!

Flight of the Hinds.

Close up

Result -Four destroyed Marders.

Meanwhile on the right flank, The shilkas advance to take some shots on enemy choppers. However they are quickly dealt with by Leopard Is. Despite the early loss of a Leopard II, the T72 are staying in cover for the moment.

Destroyed Shilkas.
Afgansty infantry advancing in the center of the table.
With that, real life called and I had to head home. Hopefully someone will post the result of the game and I will share it here.

I enjoyed my introduction to Team Yankee. From the little I played, the game flowed smoothly, this will encourage me even more to get my force assembled. Thanks to Lachlan, Ralph, Brian, Colin and Victor for allowing me to play.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures and coverage of the game day.




4 comments:

  1. Great write up. Looks like a fun day - 20 Nov in Canberra we're playing a three game tournament at Three D6. Cancon shaping up as a great tournament with 25 registrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken. Hope the event in Canberra goes well. Cancon is shaping up to be one of the most exciting ever

      Delete
  2. Great post mate and glad you enjoyed your first foray into Team Yankee - sorry it had to be a big campaign game - bit of a steep learning curve - but you certainly opened the batting with a Six!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly started on a high. Yes, really enjoyed it. I am finishing up the assembly of my Leo IIs now

      Delete