Tuesday 10 October 2017

MOAB 2017

Today I look back at a great MOAB. 


MOAB 2017:


View of the main hall from the FOW area

Another great MOAB has been and gone. I played in the V4 MW ‘Baptism of Fire’ event. Here is some of what went down.

Flames of... well... War

MOAB is the biggest event on the wargaming event in NSW. The event runs for 3 days and features demo games, participation games, tournaments, stalls and a well-attended Bring and Buy. According to organizers, it is the biggest one yet and from the queue at the Bring and Buy on Saturday, I believe it.

US Forces

The FOW was split into 3 one day events. Day 1 and 2 would be 80 points. Day 3 would be 100 points. Anyone crazy brave enough to play all 3 days would compete for the Grand Champion prize. Players could field any force from the 3 new MW books – Afrika Korps, Desert Rats or Fighting First. Build cards could also be used to create formations. Finally, the TO organised with Battlefront to share the new M14/41 cards for the event that could be used as allies in a German force.

DAK defence

 The event was well supported by Battlefront, War and Peace Games, Hall of Heroes and Aetherworks. Thanks to those organisation for their ongoing support. Every player left with a prize! Great stuff.

Marders on Patrol.

List:

I signed up for all 3 days and submitted the following:

My 80 point force

Panzer III Company
HQ –
1 x Panzer III Short 5cm.
Core –
3 x Panzer III Short 5cm.
3 x Panzer III Short 5cm.
4 x Panzer II.
Support
4 x M14/41
4 x Marders
4 x Schleppers
80 Points


The big man

Panzer III Company
HQ –
1 x Panzer III Short 5cm.
Core –
3 x Panzer III Short 5cm.
3 x Panzer III Short 5cm.
4 x Panzer II.
Support
4 x Marders
4 x Schleppers
1 x 88



Italian Carri Company
HQ –
1 x M14/41
Core –
4 x M14/41
5 x M14/41
100 Points

Aerial Recce

Event:
Going into the event, I had only played a handful of v4 games and like everyone else, wasn’t really sure what to expect. I did know that with a small, elite force, I would need to use cover and range well to make sure I would be hard to hit. I would also look to let my Schleppers - who are probably the best artillery in the game at the moment - work on gun lines and infantry by using their repeat bombardments and 2+ FP to dig out the enemy.

Achtung Panzer

The plan worked pretty well. In the few games I played against infantry and guns, the Schleppers did their job. Even with 3+ saves, Anti-tank guns under a repeat bombardment will eventually fail their saves and the Schleppers will convert this 5 from 6 times. The tanks and Marders were the real stars of the list though. Being able to pop up to hull-down on hills with a blitz move at long range and then mostly needing 4 or 5 to hit means they are going to destroy enemy vehicles. Even if they fail their shoot and scout, they are then likely 6 to hit on return fire and will mostly have the better of gun duels.


Crossroads defense
The toughest opponents by far were the Stuart and Crusader formations. The PzIII force just isn’t big enough to hold them off. Defending with 40% in reserve makes it particularly tough. If there is a dominant force at the moment, I think it is the Brit tank horde. However as players play more games and the new forces are introduced (Italians), this will likely change again. Players will find new ways to defeat this big scary threats.

The event most importantly was great fun. I am really enjoying my MW V4 games. V4 is certainly different to V3. The changes to missions means that the defender is every bit as motivated as the attack for a result to occur and the game is therefore much more engaging and exciting. The rules are very simple to read but still retain the tactical nuance that has kept me playing FOW for the last 5 or more year.

Well that’s it. Enjoy the photos. I am off to work out what new list I can run for some of the other upcoming events.


Tank graveyard
Defend the landing strip.
Stuart assault blunted.
Crusaders

More Schleppers
Brit tanks.
More Brit tanks.
Tank carpark.
Advanced laser weaponry.
German assault on US positions.
One of many lovely desert tables.
Grants on higher ground.
US Horde

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hasty attack, could I please use your photo of the hall at MOAB on my Blog, I will note under the image your blog and credit you with the photo, I fail to get a good photo of the hall at MOAB. I was running the Chain of Command tournament. this is my blog http://iagsmgm.blogspot.com.au/
    cheers John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure John, no problems. Please share a link or my blog when you do. Just looked at your blog. It is very impressive. I will be following. Hasty

      Delete
    2. Thank you and will do
      cheers John

      Delete