Wednesday 29 March 2017

Review: Battlefront Panzer IIIL/N (GE063)

Today is Panzer III review III.

That's right, it is the 3rd and final Panzer III review for my MW project - well at least for now.


History:
I have covered a short history of the Panzer III up to the J model in my Panzer IIIJ review. The L was the next model after the J. The difference between these 2 models was 20mm additional armour on the turret and hull front. The M followed and had additional side armour. The N model mounted the short barrel 75mm cannon. The N was the last Panzer III production model.


Panzer IIIM - Photo from wikipedia

Panzer IIIN - Photo from achtungpanzer.com

Review:
The GE063 Blister from Battlefront is capable of making the Panzer IIIL or the Panzer IIIN. I have chosen to build my models as Panzer IIIN.


The contents of my blister were all undamaged. The blister contains a resin hull and turret, a metal turret box, 2 metal gun options, an open and closed metal cupola and 2 metal commander options. I had the normal work to do cleaning up the metal components.


At the moment I have just assembled one. I have a total of 3 to make. I will likely hit the spares box after the 3 are fully assembled and add some stowage to these tanks. You will see how they ended up once I post up the painted models.



In the Game:
The Panzer IIIN is largely the same as the IIIL or IIIJ except that there is a slightly shorter range, a better FP and HEAT. In a new game where vehicle have a chance to remount before testing, you want to convert as many penetrations to kills as possible. A firepower of 3 will do that two-thirds of the time, a firepower of 4+ will do that only half the time. The N therefore has a clear advantage.


The 2nd reason for taking the N is that HEAT rounds don't provide the opponent to add +1 to armour saves at long range. This makes their armour the same at either range while the IIIN does add +1 for it's own saves at long range.



And because I can, here are the 3 panzers I have reviewed this week. I hope you have enjoyed this review.


3 pretty panzers in a row. From L to R - PzIIIN, PzIIIJ Late and Rettemeier.




No comments:

Post a Comment