Monday 3 April 2017

Review: Axis and Allies Panzer IV Short 7.5cm

Today I look at some tanks from an alternative source of plastic models - Axis and Allies.


Background:
It is no secret I am working on a desert force for MW V4. You can see my Panzer III reviews here, here and here. Aside from wanting it to be a panzer III company, I haven't yet worked out what to back it up by. What I would like to do it try out the panzer IV short 7.5cms. I am yet to be sold on their value in a list so instead of springing for a unit of Battlefront ones, I have raided the lead, well plastic mountain for available options.



The good news is that I have a unit of 4 Axis and Allies models that I picked up years ago when I was getting into the hobby. At the time, they seemed like a good way to expand my forces cheaply and simply. Years later, they remain on the shelf un-used.


They are not the best models available. They are the right scale and they are ready to go. They are perfect for me to paint up and test with to see if I want to include them in my force. If quality is fitness for purpose, then these are the right quality figures for the job.

Review:
Axis and Allies was a simple WW2 game where you collected game pieces in packs. The pieces varied from infantry models, to guns, to tanks and each model came with a stat card. The figures are still around and seem to pop up on auction sites and 2nd hand stalls at conventions. The tanks are the most useful for FOW use. They come prepainted and decalled and fully assembled.


The Panzer IV short is painted in standard dark yellow with decals and a wash. The models have the turrets attached but they do rotate. The models are very basic with some items like the tracks and road wheels compromised for casting purposes. From the top and from a distance, the deep detail holds a wash well and should support a highlight.


These guys will not win any painting prizes but will allow me to try out a unit. Stay tunes for a painting post. I hope you enjoyed this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment