Friday 21 July 2017

Pimp my Ride - Part 1 - Battlefront AEC III


Check out whats in the garage. Time to Pimp My Ride.

A friend of mine has generously loaned me his British armoured cars. I will be using them at an upcoming competition. You will have noticed that I have recently added some Staghounds and Daimler Is to his figures. Whilst his figures do the job, they are a little tired could do with a touch up.

Fully Pimped.
I started with the AEC III heavy armoured cars. Whilst these have been assembled for years. They are available from Battlefront in the BR 342 blister. Like the rest of the British Armoured cars Battlefront make, these are very nice models.


As you can see, they have some chipped paint, some uncleaned flash and mould lines some unpainted components and are missing decals. Apologies for the crappy photos. I suspect there was some dirt on the lens of my camera.

The unit is made up of 2 AECIIIs and a Daimler Dingo.


I started the process with a brush off to remove dust from the vehicles. I then started cleaning off old flash and mould lines from the gun barrels, commander and wheels. I suspect these are really old figures as the superglue came loose from the wheels as I removed the old flash. Rather than risk any falling off later on, I removed all the wheels, cleaned up the flash and excess glue and re-glued them.



I didn't have time to strip these and start again so I pressed on with the painting. I followed my standard paint scheme. I think they are big improvement on how they looked before.


Sadly I have run out of decals but I was able to apply some Guards Armoured decals on the front and back.


I finished these up with a brush of matt varnish. I am pretty sure they hadn't been previously varnished. This should help to keep the paint on for a few years to come.



It has been fun restoring these old figures. I hope you enjoyed this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment