Saturday 1 July 2017

Painting: Battlefront Jagdtiger (GBX70)


Today a Tiger hunts.


A change is as good as a holiday, as the saying goes. Who ever said that clearly has never had a great holiday. It is nice though to have a change of pace on the painting table and the Jagdtiger was that. After painting DAK for the last few months, I needed something different. This beasty was certainly different.


I reviewed the Jagdtiger a while back. You can find that review here.

Researching units and markings for Jagdtigers was frustrating to say the least. Details are sketchy and there are not a lot of pictures. What I could glean was that most were simply painted Dark Yellow without camouflage. To break up the colour scheme, I painted mine with a replacement barrel.



I understand the 512th Jagdtiger Battalion was said to have used X and Y prefixes for the first and second companies followed by a number. I don''t have decals with an X or a Y and I couldn't bring myself to hand paint them. In the end, I opted for a simple number. I notice that Battlefront did the same for the model they painted up.


In terms of painting, I brushed on middle stone over a matt white spray undercoat and then used a strong tone wash. There are 2 highlights of middle stone with progressively more Iraqi sand mixed in. The gun barrel is simply red leather with a wash. The red leather idea was from a painter on Facebook, much as I would like to claim it for myself. The tracks and wheels were dry brushed with flat earth.


This is a seriously heavy model. I found I had to adjust my painting style and the way I held it while I painted it. The size and weight makes it very awkward to hold and move around.


I hope you enjoyed this article.


No comments:

Post a Comment