Saturday 17 June 2017

Review: Plastic Soldier Company Panzer III J

Today I dish up the last review for my DAK tank force. You might call it is desert dessert.


My DAK tank project is gathering pace and I can see the end in sight. With the Panzer IIs underway, these Panzer IIIs will be the next and final unit I need to paint for my 100 point force. Of course, that doesn't mean I wont make changes and go looking for new models once I start playing with it!


History:
It seems a long while ago now but you can find historical information about the Panzer III in my earlier reviews here and here.

Review:
First up, I was very pleased to see not only a clear inventory page that shows you what pieces are for what models, there was a full set of instructions. This has been lacking in some of PSCs kits. This is a reasonably simple kit but clear and complete instructions remove any doubt.



This box is not new so I am not breaking new ground here. The good news is that this kit, whilst old enough to be around a while, is new enough to have one piece tracks. Having assembled 21 sets of multi-part T34 tracks, I was very happy to see the one piece tracks for the panzer IIIs.

Inventory Sheet
The box contains 5 frames. Each frame has all the parts to create either a Panzer III J, L, M, N or a flame Panzer. I need four short 5cm Panzer IIIs, so I have chosen to assemble mine as the early J model. The 5th frame will stay in the drawer until I have a need for another Panzer III. The frames are packed with barrels, mantles, and all the options required. The frames also contain schutzen and stowage.

Instructions.
 After clipping out the pieces, there was really very little cleanup required. All the pieces went together without issue and compared to some of the more complex PSC models, this one went together very easily. There are some nice features that prevent error. For example the front hull piece can only go on one way. Likewise the tracks have guides to prevent them being installed on the wrong side. Simple stuff, yes, but appreciated.


The pieces are really nicely detailed are the hull especially is covered with running gear. There is a coiled tow cable, plenty of tools, a jack, lights, tow hooks etc.



These are simply lovely models and I cannot wait to paint them! I hope you enjoyed this review.


2 comments:

  1. Great kit. Generally preferred these to the new battlefront plastic Pz III's, although as always, the PSC crews aren't much to write home about in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the crew is way behind what BF are producing. This is now my favourite PSC kit

    ReplyDelete