Sunday 14 May 2017

Painting: Axis and Allies Panzer IV Short 75

A while back I reviewed the Axis and Allies Panzer IV short 75s. In summary, I have had these on the shelf for many years. They are basic models, are the right scale and fully assembled. They are not going to win any beauty pageants but they will allow me to see if the unit fits into the plan for my new list. You can find my full review here.



History:

The Panzer IV was one of the mainstays of the German forces in WW2 with over 8500 being built. It was the only tank to remain in production right through the war. The short barrel versions A - F1 were designed as infantry support tanks. The short 75mm gun was equipped for both HE and AT rounds. The F1 was the last short barrel model.


It became apparent that the Panzer III, originally designed as a anti-tank platform, was no longer viable in this role when it's gun could not be upgraded due to the small size of the turret. The Panzer IV F2 was built around a long barrel 75mm gun and the Panzer III was discontinued.


Painting:
I followed my normal scheme and process for these tanks. You can see more detail about these in my earlier PZIII posts. Being that these are only going to be a trial, I didn't add any stowage. The Axis and Allies models don't easy allow open hatches so I will need to mark the commanders vehicle once I get to the decal stage. I will do this with the whole company at the end of the project.


Until then, I hope you enjoyed this article.






No comments:

Post a Comment