Sunday 10 December 2017

V4 MW Event at Rebel Outpost


I took a drive up the coast to the Rebel Outpost in Wyong. I hadn’t been to the store before and it is located in an industrial estate just a few minutes from the center of Wyong. It was a good 90 minute drive from home but what is 3 hours in the car compared with the prospect of a day of toy soldiers?


The store was offering a FOW Version 4 MW 80 point competition where players could bring an additional 10 points of cards. There are a few events popping up with this format but this is the first one I have played in. Cancon 2018 will have the same format.


I arrived early and had time to wonder around the store which is pretty well stocked. There is a good selection of a variety of Table top games. FOW and Bolt Action appeared to be most represented.


The store is well laid out. On the bottom floor is the shop with a separate dedicated table area. There was lots of terrain and lots of space for card games. A side from the FOW tables set up for the day was also an X wing table with games going all day. There is a quite role-play type space upstairs too.



There were 4 nice tables setup for the event with a mix of desert and European tables. I played on three different tables, each well thought out with different challenges presented to players.


The store is offering a slow grow league so there were a few pieces of unpainted kit and proxied figures on the tables as players build up their forces. This event was a bit of an introduction tournament organised around players learning V4.  


I packed by Crusaders for the event as I am currently enjoying playing them.  I am busy painting up a US force but that is not ready yet. The 80/10 format is interesting. I would like to play some more games before I can be sure if I like it or not. 10 points of cards can provide some pretty big changes to a list. Aside from the characters that buff a big portion of the list, there are lots of re-roll cards and opportunity cards. Mostly though, I think Scout Tank is the card I am most worried about. It continues to provide well more than a single point of value. For a full company of Crusaders of Stuarts, I think this card would still be good value at 10 points.



The day ran really well with a nice mix of fun games and some good chatter. I will defiantly come back to future events at the store. I rounded off a fun day buy buying a box-set for a future project for myself as a Christmas present. I highly recommend Rebel Outpost for a visit. It is a friendly, well stocked, well organised store.



 I hope you enjoyed this article.




No comments:

Post a Comment