Saturday 18 November 2017

Battlefront 8th Army 40mm Bofors

Back to the desert, this time for some AA guns.

As my Desert Rats force expands, it is time to add some anti-aircraft guns. What better way to do this then the ubiquitous Bofor. This will be my third unit of Bofors. I already have some USA ones and a unit of Late War British Bofors. I think the Bofors have always been one of the best AA units in FOW. In the new MW book, the AT has been upped to 7 and the ROF reduced to 3. Overall coupled with a save of 4+, these are a very versatile unit.


The Battlefront Blister - BR541 8th Army Bofors 40mm Gun contains 2 Bofors and a command stand. These blisters have been around for a while and are designed for version 3 and possibly version 2, where gun units had a command stand. I will just concentrate on the 2 guns themselves as I am painting them up for version 4. 


Battlefront have released a new box set which contains 3 Bofors, which is far more useful than the blister as three is the amount required for a minimum sized platoon. Looking at the BF store, the models in the new box are the same as the blister. The box also contains a unit card and has the new brown bases rather than the old grey ones. The new box is listed as US$37 and the blister US$22. So per gun, the blister (if you can still find one) is slightly cheaper. However if you need to buy 2 blisters, the box is cheaper and comes with the new V4 card.

Anyway, enough economics, onto the review.

Review:
Opening my blister, I found that all included parts were nicely cast and free of damage. Laying the pieces out though, I quickly found that I was missing 2 of the firing crew. There are 2 in the pack, not 4. I  fired off an email to Battlefront who responded quickly that they will provide a replacement. I have painted up what I have and will add the extras when they arrive.


Pieces of one gun less 1 crewman
Like all the old school metal guns, these models arrived with a little flash and a few mould lines. Nothing that 5 minutes with a hobby knife couldn't sort out. The Bofor assembly is not difficult but it is fiddly. The blister didn't come with instructions but there is a good one on the Battlefront website

These have always been nice models and Battlefront I think have been wise not to mess with the formula. I cannot imagine that enough would be sold to justify a plastic mould and the metal ones do the job nicely.

Assembly:
I started by laying down the feet that the gun would sit on. This is in three parts and the 2 short legs are connected with locating pins. The only important point here is make sure they are straight. I used the grid on my cutting board for this. I then glued the crew to the base. At this point, I applied some filler before the rest of the model was attached and it became more difficult. I used a spare plastic crew figure in place of one of the metal ones that came in the blister for increased variety.

Guns Assembled
Next I glued the base plate to rotating base. I had to splay the arms on the rotating base to get a good fit. I then glued on the gun and the tailpiece. Finally the sights were glued on. To finish the base, I pushed the ammo boxes into the wet putty. I left the firing crew off and will attach them after painting (and when the remainder arrive)

Painting Progress. Base coat and wash complete.

Painting:
I saw no reason to move away from my current British desert theme. You can find a description of that paint scheme and the steps I followed in my Battlefront V4 6 Pound Platoon Review.



Conclusion;
I really enjoyed working on this platoon. The models are well detailed and painted up well. I think the Bofors are a must have platoon for the MW Desert Rats. They provide one of the best AA umbrellas in the game and are very hand as low range anti-tank.


Roll Photos.


I hope you enjoyed this review.




No comments:

Post a Comment