Wednesday 28 September 2016

Panzer IIIN Conversion

So, I need some Panzer IIINs with schurzen for a game on the weekend. Somewhere in the lead mountain, there must be a box of these.

There isn't.

However there is 4 Gaming Models PzIIIL/M without Schurzen. So lets have a crack at some conversion work. How hard can it be?!?!

Panzer IIIN


Photo from worldwarphotos.info

The Panzer IIIN was the last production model of the Panzer III and entered production in 1942. It was armed with the short barreled 75mm gun and 2 machine guns.

So, onto the models. Gaming models (http://www.gamodls.com/) fall into the cheap and cheerful category. They are all resin, come fully assembled and undercoated, have a huge range and work well as wargaming pieces. They are not showcase models. I have used them in the past as a good way to get a large army on the table cheaply, to test a new army or to use as a once off.



These have been sitting in my cupboard for years and were purchased when i first got into FOW as part of a huge batch of tanks that could quickly get me onto the table. Sadly, they have sat in the cupboard ever since. Being that I need some Panzer IIIs for the weekend, it seemed like a opportunity to get these out and at least use them.

So, I need to cut the barrel down to make it look like a short 75. Yes, I know that the L and M had a long 50mm but at 1:100 scale, is there really a difference? I also need to find or construct some schurzen.

I had some plastic solider Panzer IVs schuzen in my bits box. So these might do the job. I cut off a panel, removed the supporting rail and dry fitted them. It worked. I then just cut the bottom of the last panel and the first side skirt was on.

There should also be skirts on the turrets but this was more time than I was willing to spend. I said that I might only used them once, didn't I? I am happy that anyone will see them and know that they are equipped with schuzen.



Being that these were to be used in a LW list, I expect they have been in the field for some time. I wanted them to look battle worn, I have therefore removed a few panels to simulate battle damage.



So, with that, the conversion work is over. Next up, painting.










No comments:

Post a Comment