Sunday 8 January 2017

Review: Battlefront Romanian Cavalry (RO708)

Follow me.
I recently finished up my EW 1550 Romanians force. However I have some Romanian Cavalry and I couldn't resist painting them up.

I haven't painted a horse in 15mm for years and it took me a while to find my old paints and work out which ones to use. The ochre colour hasn't aged well and the 3 horses I painted that colour didn't turn out very well.

Review:
Battlefront only make one blister of Romanian Cavalry but it is a great blister. RO708 contains 4 large bases, one medium base, and 18 cavalry including 1 officer figure. The riders are split in 2 with the waist down moulded onto the horse. The torso needs to be glued into the legs.

The riders contained very little flash, there was only the normal mould lines on the helmet and legs. The horses had a mould lines behind the rider and on the mien and reins. Like all horse models I have ever seen, there was a large amount of flash under the horses legs. This is completely normal and easy to clean up.

In FOW:
In my EW list, I can take a unit of recce cav which is a command base plus 3 other bases. I therefore just painted up enough for this unit.

I have played against cavalry in FOW but never used cavalry myself. They move 10 inches, can gallop another 4 inches and then charge. This along with a recce move, makes them a very fast moving unit.

I am looking forward to using them to see what they can do.

Painting:
I followed my normal scheme for the riders. The horse I painted a variety of browns, chestnuts and ochre. I then applied a army painter strong tone wash.

On to the pictures. I hope you enjoyed this review.


Commander
Entire Unit
Unit in Line
Command stand.
Unit from the rear.


No comments:

Post a Comment